[Ros-release] ROS Fuerte Freeze Schedule Update

Ken Conley kwc at willowgarage.com
Mon Feb 6 06:13:34 UTC 2012

On Sun, Feb 5, 2012 at 6:20 PM, Daniel Stonier <d.stonier at gmail.com> wrote:
> Couple of quick questions.
>
> From what I've seen, it looks like you can upgrade your stacks to catkin and
> build/release from source with catkin (releases have to be catkin enabled?).

Yes, but this toolchain is very, very immature and catkin APIs are not
officially stable yet.  Fuerte is a chance to get much more experience
with them with a limited set of stacks.

> Alternatively if your stack is not yet catkin enabled, you can still
> apt-get or catkin build/install dependencies, then use the old 'in place'
> build via rosco and rosmake to compile your sources. Am I tuned in to the
> master plan correctly?

Yes (with the addition that rosinstall will also work soon).  The
catkin-based stuff looks like a system dependency to the old 'in
place' build.  Following that logic, the rest of the rules follow,
i.e.:

 1) You must build and install the catkin-based stuff *before*
building the rosmake-based stuff
 2) You cannot mix a source tree with catkin-based stuff and
rosmake-based stuff (follows from (1))
 3) catkin-based stacks will soon become rosdep keys, i.e. instead of
<depend stack="foo"/>, you have <rosdep name="foo" />.  This is
awaiting the new version of rosdep I am working on.  It's not
necessary (nor possible yet) to port your dependencies to rosdeps in
Fuerte.

For convenience, you can have multiple catkin-based source trees in
the same workspace, and they will construct an out-of-source build
directory that you can run your code from (tools like roslaunch can
even find resources there correctly).  That said, the majority of our
regression testing is with an installed tree.

> Rospack is now using your rewrite brian? i.e.
>
> - hg:
>     uri: 'https://kforge.ros.org/rosrelease/rospack'
>     local-name: rospack

Yes, that's Brian's rewrite. rospack can be separately built and
installed, though we currently integrate it with the rest of the
catkin stuff to make our lives easier for now.

> Rosinstall - if it's a permanent feature, it would be good if it detected
> the presence of catkin and made that symbolic link 'catkin/toplevel.cmake ->
> CMakeLists.txt'.

rosinstall will have a --catkin option, which does what you describe,
plus configure your environment correctly.

> What is the situation with rx tools and ros-fuerte-swig-wx? I'm sudo
> apt-get'ing ubuntu's swig at the moment and that is sufficient to compile. I
> suspect this is in the works as mentioned on the migration page (it's a
> source rosdep?).

I'm not sure what you mean.  I can apt-get install ros-fuerte-rx just
fine -- are you seeing a problem? ros-fuerte-swig-wx is a catkin port
of the modified wxswig wrappers that rx has always used.  Dirk Thomas
has Qt replacements for most of the stuff in rx in the works, but it
won't be ready until Groovy.  At that time we will hopefully finally
cast off wx.

FYI: every tree we build is in this github repo:

https://github.com/wg-debs

> I'm going to hit the cross-compiling over the next couple of days, so I'll
> hit the tracker with patches for you.

Great!

thanks,
Ken