[Ros-release] ROS Fuerte Freeze Schedule Update

Ken Conley kwc at willowgarage.com
Tue Feb 7 23:32:53 UTC 2012

On Tue, Feb 7, 2012 at 2:00 AM, Daniel Stonier <d.stonier at gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
>> > place'
>> > build via rosco and rosmake to compile your sources. Am I tuned in to
>> > the
>> > master plan correctly?
>>
>> Yes (with the addition that rosinstall will also work soon).  The
>> catkin-based stuff looks like a system dependency to the old 'in
>> place' build.  Following that logic, the rest of the rules follow,
>> i.e.:
>>
>>  1) You must build and install the catkin-based stuff *before*
>> building the rosmake-based stuff
>>  2) You cannot mix a source tree with catkin-based stuff and
>> rosmake-based stuff (follows from (1))
>>  3) catkin-based stacks will soon become rosdep keys, i.e. instead of
>> <depend stack="foo"/>, you have <rosdep name="foo" />.  This is
>> awaiting the new version of rosdep I am working on.  It's not
>> necessary (nor possible yet) to port your dependencies to rosdeps in
>> Fuerte.
>>
>> For convenience, you can have multiple catkin-based source trees in
>> the same workspace, and they will construct an out-of-source build
>> directory that you can run your code from (tools like roslaunch can
>> even find resources there correctly).  That said, the majority of our
>> regression testing is with an installed tree.
>>
>> > Rospack is now using your rewrite brian? i.e.
>> >
>> > - hg:
>> >     uri: 'https://kforge.ros.org/rosrelease/rospack'
>> >     local-name: rospack
>>
>> Yes, that's Brian's rewrite. rospack can be separately built and
>> installed, though we currently integrate it with the rest of the
>> catkin stuff to make our lives easier for now.
>>
>> > Rosinstall - if it's a permanent feature, it would be good if it
>> > detected
>> > the presence of catkin and made that symbolic link
>> > 'catkin/toplevel.cmake ->
>> > CMakeLists.txt'.
>>
>> rosinstall will have a --catkin option, which does what you describe,
>> plus configure your environment correctly.
>>
>> > What is the situation with rx tools and ros-fuerte-swig-wx? I'm sudo
>> > apt-get'ing ubuntu's swig at the moment and that is sufficient to
>> > compile. I
>> > suspect this is in the works as mentioned on the migration page (it's a
>> > source rosdep?).
>>
>> I'm not sure what you mean.  I can apt-get install ros-fuerte-rx just
>> fine -- are you seeing a problem? ros-fuerte-swig-wx is a catkin port
>> of the modified wxswig wrappers that rx has always used.  Dirk Thomas
>> has Qt replacements for most of the stuff in rx in the works, but it
>> won't be ready until Groovy.  At that time we will hopefully finally
>> cast off wx.
>>

> I can apt-get ros-fuerte-rx fine, however when doing a completely source
> based catkin build using troy's rosinstall for a catkin build, it fails when
> rx tries to find the ros swig binary. I have to source the /opt/ros/fuerte
> setup.bash I think for it to be found (haven't checked thoroughly sorry).

That rosinstall file appears to be missing swig-wx; you'll need to
manually add it to your workspace, I guess, if you're trying to build
that from source.

>> FYI: every tree we build is in this github repo:
>>
>> https://github.com/wg-debs
>>

> I'm trying to go through the deb building process - we're interested in
> getting Yujin's closed stacks .deb'd (i.e. make my life simpler). I'm
> guessing the process is via the method outlined
> here https://github.com/willowgarage/catkin/blob/master/doc/catkin-release.rst.
>
> Right now I'm testing with qt_ros/qt_tutorials which have been catinized and
> compile against the rosinstalled sources (i.e. following the
> walkthrough). The process goes well until it actually hits the cmake step in
> the build stage, i.e. when I do
>
> git buildpackage -uc -us --git-ignore-branch --git-ignore-new   # on lucid,
> omit --git-ignore-new
>

> It is fine until it hits the add_service_files macro in qt_tutorials (see
> error below). Which probably means I haven't got the environment set up
> properly. I've just been stepping into the environment via
> /opt/ros/fuerte/env.sh for this. What's the correct way to set it up to
> generate release builds like you have at the repos above? Or should I hold
> off on this for a bit?

Probably hold off for a little bit.  What you've done should work, but
the documentation is not there yet, we're behind schedule, and the
toolchain is still under heavy development.

> I wonder if there's a better place to move this discussion too.

This is a bit OT, and ros-release is not meant to be high-volume.
This is our internal catkin list:

It is not a catkin-users list, but rather a communication tool for
those of us working on getting the toolchain ready.

 - Ken