[Ros-release] Catkinization & Bloom

Daniel Stonier d.stonier at gmail.com
Sat Nov 10 07:51:45 UTC 2012

On 10 November 2012 03:06, William Woodall <wwoodall at willowgarage.com>wrote:

> Keeping the latest version in the distro file causes a pull request/merge,
> which like Lorenz mentioned is hookable, and it allows us to query the
> version of a released package at one glance of the rosdistro file. With a
> latest keyword, any tools that wanted that information would have to fetch
> it from the release repository.

There are ways of working around these things. You could just run a single
script x times each day to parse and generate a list of versions - use this
to compare with the previous list for differences and trigger builds off
that. Provide that list to tools who want to know the latest released
versions (like those generated at http://www.ros.org/debbuild/).

The details are irrelevant though, my main point was with regards to
wondering if the human-intensive work of accepting pull requests could be
minimised. Now, if you guys are happy to do that, I'm also happy (since a
script like rosrelease for fuerte would remove the human intensive work of
making the pull requests for users). But I can imagine this will start to
generate alot of pull requests and that increases your overhead. Also, if
it becomes a burden, it increases latency time between releases for users.

If you need more eyes on rosdistro, I'm willing to help in order to cover
the asian region.

Regards,
Daniel.

> What I plan to add to bloom is a feature to automatically open a pull
> request for you during the release process, but that will likely not land
> for a few weeks.
>
> --
>

> On Fri, Nov 9, 2012 at 7:34 AM, Lorenz Mösenlechner <moesenle at in.tum.de>wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I guess one reason for using pull requests on a single repo was that
>> the package build can be triggered by some github hook. By just
>> pointing to latest or really just using the release repo, this would
>> become much more complicated and expensive since the system either
>> needed to subscribe to all repose which would only be possible if they
>> are hosted on github, or the system needed to continuously monitor
>> many repos.
>>
>> Lorenz
>>
>> On Fri, Nov 9, 2012 at 4:29 PM, Daniel Stonier <d.stonier at gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>> the source

>> looking
>> the

>> out,

>> debian-increment

>> alternative to
>> x.y.z
>> >>

>> > You could even put version pointers in the bloom generated xxx-release
>> repo
>> > instead.

>> numbers,

>> --
>> Lorenz Mösenlechner            | moesenle at in.tum.de
>> Technische Universität München | Karlstraße 45
>> 80335 München                  | Germany
>> http://ias.cs.tum.edu/         | Tel: +49 (89) 289-26910

> William Woodall
> Willow Garage - Software Engineer
> wwoodall at willowgarage.com

Phone : +82-10-5400-3296 (010-5400-3296)
Home: http://snorriheim.dnsdojo.com/
Yujin R&D: http://rnd.yujinrobot.com/