[Ros-release] Steps to cancel already-released packages

Tully Foote tfoote at osrfoundation.org
Mon Aug 12 07:23:17 UTC 2013

All you need to do is update the release.yaml file.

We've designed the system to be as stateless as possible.  The buildfarm
will do a best effort build of what's in the release.yaml.  It can handle
upgrades, rollbacks, additions and removals.

Conflicts with past and future packages are not a problem. It will
propagate through the various stages of the build pipeline only in a self
consistent state.  So as long as the release.yaml doesn't have conflicts
the debs should not either.

Note this does not absolve you of considering your users and providing good
communication with respect to the development model.  Your users should
know what's going on and depending on the development state of the package.
 If there are expectations of stability for your users the buildfarm will
not prevent you from breaking compatibility.

PS I've copied this back to answers.ros.org and I've made the answer
slightly less specific.  I believe your packages are very young so the
compatibility is not as much of an issue.

Tully