[Ros-release] Wet Prereleases

Thibault Kruse kruset at in.tum.de
Fri Feb 15 20:58:53 UTC 2013

Hi Daniel,

and sorry all that I forgot to reply to the list,

On 15.02.2013 14:13, Daniel Stonier wrote:

> On 15 February 2013 18:49, Thibault Kruse <kruset at in.tum.de
> <mailto:kruset at in.tum.de>> wrote:
>
>     Hi Daniel,
>

>     On 15.02.2013 02:51, Daniel Stonier wrote:
>
>         These fails also happen in other ways - e.g. a missing
>         find_package(catkin REQUIRED ...) in just one package in the
>         stack also gets past pre-release.
>

>     There is a script called catkin_make_isolated that people can use
>     to build packages in isolation. This can help detect certain
>     missing declared dependencies. So maintainers can make sure both
>     catkin_make and catkin_make_isolated pass locally before heading
>     on to pre-release.
>

> That's interesting - hadn't discovered that tool before. Just did a
> quick run, and while it would catch some issues, it would still not
> catch the install dependency problems I outlined in the first email
> (unless I manually sandboxed, cleared all the debs and reinstalled
> individual package dependencies inbetween each isolated build).

Feel free to add a pointer to that script on the wiki where you would
expect it.
Indeed not all problems can be found that way, only some that would fall
through a normal catkin workspace build.
A more complete check tests for the following:

1.) Building a package together with a maximum amount of other package
in the same workspace with tests to check for cmake namespace collisions.
2.) Build each package in isolation to test for missing cmake dependencies
3.) Build and install each package in isolation and its declared
dependencies, and run tests to detect missing install dependencies

I do not know enough about pre-release tests to tell you what happens
there, I can only tell you what you can do locally.

cheers,
   Thibault