[Ros-release] Build type and optimizations on the build farm?

Ruben Smits ruben.smits at intermodalics.eu
Thu Jul 18 07:31:04 UTC 2013

Hi Austin,

On Thu, Jul 18, 2013 at 4:25 AM, Austin Hendrix
<ahendrix at willowgarage.com>wrote:

> I have a few packages containing realtime controllers that were
> previously built with:
> set(ROS_BUILD_TYPE Release), which among other things enabled
> optimizations as part of the build process.
>
> Since the catkin doesn't supply a replacement for ROS_BUILD_TYPE, I've
> omitted it when catkinizing packages, but I'm discovering now that
> packages compiled on the build farm are not sufficiently optimized for
> my use case.
>
> Is there a way to enable optimizations or the Release build type,
> either on the farm as a whole, in bloom, or in my packages?

For plain cmake packages or catkin you can use the CMAKE_BUILD_TYPE
variable which takes the exact same values as rosbuilds ROS_BUILD_TYPE
variable:

set(CMAKE_BUILD_TYPE Release)

see http://www.cmake.org/Wiki/CMake_Useful_Variables#Compilers_and_Toolsfor
more info