[ros-release] Building Java Debs

Daniel Stonier d.stonier at gmail.com
Sat Sep 14 15:49:39 UTC 2013

This is with regards to the failed build:
http://jenkins.ros.org/job/ros-hydro-rosjava-bootstrap_binarydeb_precise_i386/1/

What's happening in brief:

   - CMake is delegating to java's gradle to do the building
   - When gradle builds the project, it first checks to see if the
   appropriate version of gradle is around, and if not, it downloads to
   ~/.gradle
   - Compile step in the report is successful, install step fails (I think
   this is the correct interpretation).

The compile step is being done as some sandbox'd user? That succeeds at the
following line:

Unzipping /tmp/buildd/.gradle/wrapper/dists/gradle-1.7-bin/2g3i7gan25uopmtc0lnjb1l9ff/gradle-1.7-bin.zip
to /tmp/buildd/.gradle/wrapper/dists/gradle-1.7-bin/2g3i7gan25uopmtc0lnjb1l9ff

The install step seems to be done as root which has a permission failure...

Exception in thread "main" java.io.FileNotFoundException:
/root/.gradle/wrapper/dists/gradle-1.7-bin/2g3i7gan25uopmtc0lnjb1l9ff/gradle-1.7-bin.zip.part
(Permission denied)

Why is the second step being done as root? Any suggestions how I might
work around this problem? Some relevant information:

   - I can't use the system installable gradle
      - too old
      - best practice is this way anyway - more control over the build

Thanks,
Daniel.