[ros-release] Fwd: Torrents of Emails

David Lu!! davidlu at wustl.edu
Tue Apr 1 22:45:05 UTC 2014

So I'd like to start a hopefully constructive discussion of the build
farm's email practices. I've attached a picture of the onslaught my
inbox just received. I'm fairly certain none of the builds failing is
my fault. But it does lead me to some questions.

1) Are there settings for email that I haven't set to reduce the
number of emails I get? Or am I automatically subscribed because I'm a
maintainer?
2) Is there a way to condense the emails? If I got a single email
telling me which packages I maintain failed to build, but this seems a
bit much.
3) I've whined about this before, but is there some way we can make
the error messages more legible? I'm sure for people familiar with the
build farm, the errors may make sense, but as a maintainer, I have no
idea what I'm supposed to do. If the answer is nothing, why am I
getting email?

I realize accomplishing some of these tasks will likely involve
substantial amounts of work, but I feel it merits discussion
nonetheless.

-David