[ros-release] PCL integration with ROS Indigo

William Woodall william at osrfoundation.org
Tue Apr 8 00:43:24 UTC 2014

Hi guys,

tl;dr I am looking for new maintainers for pcl_ros[1], pcl_msgs[2], and
pcl_conversions[3].

In the past low level ROS packages depended on PCL in order to iterate over
point clouds. For Indigo, there is a generic point cloud iterator available
in common_msgs:

https://github.com/ros/common_msgs/pull/16

This should allow many packages to drop a dependency on PCL in Indigo, and
so it makes PCL less of a critical dependency for the core of ROS.

Up until now, I have taken over maintenance of the PCL related ROS packages
(pcl_ros, pcl_msgs, and pcl_conversions) because we desperately needed
them. However, I don't really make sense as a maintainer for this code base
because I rarely use PCL anymore and I believe my time would be better
spent in other areas. Therefore I am not going to be maintaining these
packages in Indigo, and I am looking for some people from both the ROS and
PCL communities to step up and maintain these packages.

The responsibilities you would be inheriting include:

- Releasing the packages into Indigo for the first time
- Releasing new versions with patches throughout the Indigo lifetime
- Watching for and responding to new issues/pull requests on the
repositories

Note that you do not have to fulfill every enhancement request or fix every
minor bug, but you should be responding to and categorizing the incoming
issues.

The benefit to you is that you get authority over the packages and get a
say in how they are developed (if you wish to do that), and you get
notoriety as the maintainer of such a fundamental package.

If you are interested helping out with these packages please send me an
email or send an email to the ros-release at lists.ros.org mailing list if you
are interested in co-maintaining and would like to find a another
co-maintainer.

Thanks,

[1] https://github.com/ros-perception/perception_pcl
[2] https://github.com/ros-perception/pcl_msgs