[ros-release] pointcloud_to_laserscan standalone package?

Paul Bovbel paul at bovbel.com
Fri Aug 1 18:04:36 UTC 2014

Hi Jan,

Sounds like a good idea, there are quite a few use cases that
depthimage_to_laserscan doesn't cover. Check out
http://docs.ros.org/hydro/api/catkin/html/howto/index.html for information
on how to prepare your package for release (at the minimum, it should be
useable from the install space via catkin_make install).

On a technical note, consider adapting the code to be a nodelet instead,
that way it can be plugged directly into the camera_nodelet manager. The
nodelet can access the pointcloud data in shared process memory instead of
serializing/deserializing over sockets, leading to a pretty significant
speedup.

Cheers,
Paul Bovbel