[ros-release] p2os Maintenance status

Gert Kanter gert.kanter at gmail.com
Thu May 29 14:37:54 UTC 2014

Hi!

I, for one, am in favor of taking over maintainership. If Hunter Allen is
not motivated (or too busy etc) maintaining the package (already two ROS
releases!), then in the interest of the community, a willing and active new
maintainer should be able to pick up the slack. This way the original
contributors of the p2os can still be (more prominently) credited for their
previous contributions, especially if you have originally forked the
improved p2os from the old p2os. I also agree that yet another package that
is a successor of a unmaintained package just adds confusion for the
community (and obscures the actively maintained package from new ROS users).

It would be best if Hunter would approve of this action, of course.

Disclaimer: I am working on a robot with the Pioneer mobile platform with
p2os and I am very interested in the mentioned new developments in your
private repository.

Just my two cents,
Gert Kanter