[ros-release] Build Failure due to rosdep

William Woodall william at osrfoundation.org
Wed Apr 1 20:41:41 UTC 2015

I think it would be better to just tell the user what's going on. If you
can reliably tell when you should retry, then you can also just tell the
user to try it again. For the build farm, retrying immediately usually
never works because its takes time for a failure to get resolved upstream,
so we retry several times with a reasonable cool off period and that seems
to help a bit. For users though I think this kind of thing is not
particularly worth it.

All of that being said if you come up with a way to communicate to the user
what's going on and also is more robust to intermittent failures, that's ok
to propose as a pull request. However, I'll point out that most tools don't
retry and I think there is a good rational behind that to reduce the amount
of magic between the user and the problems when they occur. For example,
programs that don't automatically retry git, apt-get, Homebrew, curl
(without an option), wget (without an option), chrome, safari, firefox,
etc... Obviously "just because others don't do it" isn't sufficient reason
but it is a good indicator.

William Woodall
ROS Development Team
william at osrfoundation.org