[ros-release] [ros-users] Jenkins spams me with same error - 404

Tully Foote tfoote at osrfoundation.org
Wed Dec 9 08:39:21 UTC 2015

On Tue, Nov 24, 2015 at 12:51 AM, Martin Günther via ros-release <
ros-release at lists.ros.org> wrote:

> Hi Tully,
>
> On Mon, 23 Nov 2015 17:27:58 -0800
> Tully Foote via ros-release <ros-release at lists.ros.org> wrote:
>
> > We work very hard to keep the amount of emails that jenkins sends to a
> > minimum. I group the fauilres into three categories. First there are
> > the good ones, which are the failures where something is failing to
> > build or test and the maintainer can fix them. The second is that
> > there are specific known issues on a specific arch or paltform which
> > the maintainers cannot or chooses not to fix. And sometimes there are
> > systematic failures such as a service goes offline that will fail
> > jobs early in unrecoverable ways. (For example a hosting provider
> > like github or ubuntu going offline, or a filesystem getting
> > corrupted)
>
> Travis solves this by distinguishing between "failed" and "errored"
> states. "Failed" is the first kind of failure that you mention:
> something goes wrong in my "script" section. "Errored" is the other
> kind, where something goes wrong in my "install" section (when
> setting up the dependencies, i.e., not my fault). I get an email from
> travis when something fails, not when it errors. It would be nice if
> Jenkins would do the same thing.

Hi Martin,

This is definitely something I've personally looked into and wanted to do
but ran out of time during that cycle. Unfortunately it's built into
Travis, but not Jenkins notification plugins. As such we need to implement
this behavior in our scripts. To make it happen I believe we actually need
to setup the scripts to mutate the job configuration for notification
addressees during the run. We can make this happen but unfortunately it
will need to be integrated into each job. I created a ticket to track this
here: https://github.com/ros-infrastructure/ros_buildfarm/issues/119

Tully