[ros-release] Preparting Hydro and Indigo Syncs

Tully Foote tfoote at osrfoundation.org
Tue May 19 07:25:39 UTC 2015

Hi Gijs,

You're right there's not much you can do at the moment. The reason for the
emails is that your packages get rebuilt any time a dependency gets
released. There's been quite a few medium to low level dependencies
released recently:
https://github.com/ros/rosdistro/pulls?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=is%3Apr+is%3Aclosed+hydro

The ccache permissions error is something we've never been able to track
down. https://github.com/ros-infrastructure/buildfarm/issues/174 You're
right there's nothing you can do about it. It happens relatively
infrequently compared to the number of builds we run, but even a 1 in 1000
error triggers several times when we build 1500 packages across 6 to 8
arches.

The missing dependencies happens when a build sweep gets interrupted by a
new release.

We've entirely restructured the buildfarm and are running a test version in
parallel working on building in robustness to many of these errors and race
conditions. One of our main goals is to avoid as many false positive emails
as possible. We'll be rolling it out soon, but it does not support the
toolchain needed for hydro so we cannot completely switchover until the EOL
of Hydro.

Tully