[ros-release] Indigo PreReleases on Trusty

Mike Purvis mpurvis at clearpathrobotics.com
Tue Nov 17 03:12:48 UTC 2015

> 1. Did I break my thing?
> 2. Did I break someone that uses me?
> 3. Did someone else break me?

0. Has the thing ever not been broken? (for first releases)

Missing or wrong install rules, tests not building or not behind
CATKIN_ENABLE_TESTING, launch file problems, build order chaos,
DEPENDS/CATKIN_DEPENDS confusion, various other dependency problems,
especially misunderstandings around run_depend.

Not that a local prerelease can catch all that stuff, but I admit that the
hassle of getting a devel job into the rosdistro meant that for me I would
often release a known-broken 0.0.1 version of a package, just to get the
devel job set up so that I could use the online prerelease tool to fix it
up for the "real" first release.