[ros-release] Indigo PreReleases on Trusty

Jack O'Quin jack.oquin at gmail.com
Tue Nov 17 19:07:53 UTC 2015

On Mon, Nov 16, 2015 at 12:39 PM, Tully Foote via ros-release <
ros-release at lists.ros.org> wrote:

> Indeed we agree that getting more prereleases run is important. That's why
> we've worked very hard to make sure that it as well as all the jobs are
> reproducible.

They are not right now, and that is mostly the fault of docker, which is
Not Ready For Prime Time. The fact that everyone has to install the latest
docker version coupled with the fact that they release versions with API
incompatibilities, makes it an inherently unstable base.

> The web hosted solution has elements which are nice for users. However, it
> was an expensive pain to maintain. It also provided an inconsistent user
> experience, especially if there's a large delay due to waiting for yours or
> others jobs to run. As long as it's reproducible it's better to users
> leverage their own resources and know reliably when things will run.

I did not mind the delays much, because I could do other tasks while
waiting. And, I don't mind using my own resources.

I do mind the fact that it frequently does not work, because then I have to
spend my own time troubleshooting the situation. Consequently, I choose to
focus my testing time on more-productive activities, that seem more likely
to find actual bugs in my own code.

I understand that OSRF would prefer not to maintain pre-release jobs on the
build farm. But, when reasonably-conscientious package maintainers tell you
it's not currently a good use of our available testing time to fight with
the new pre-release tools, we can anticipate additional problems to ensue.
--
 joq