[ros-users] Cross-compilation and library locations

Daniel Maier maierd at informatik.uni-freiburg.de
Thu Apr 1 13:44:57 UTC 2010

Hi!

I am trying to cross-compile ros for the Nao robot which uses a geode
CPU and runs a linux distribution based on openEmbedded ( I think).

I loosely followed the gumros tutorial to built log4cxx and apr and from there used a manufacturer supplied cmake toolchain file for cross-compiling ros.
It seemd to have worked so far, however after I copied the ros
directories to the Nao robot, the binaries refuse to work as they cannot
find the necessary libraries.
E.g., rospack cannot find librospack.so.
I assume this is because ros is linked with the rpath option pointing to
an absolute path. The path to the ros libraries on my desktop used to
cross-compile is different from the path where the libraries are located on the Nao.
The easiest workaround would probably be to just make the paths
identical. However, I was wondering if there was a nicer solution, which
would allow the ros folders to be moved without the need to rebuilt all
of ros just to set the library paths.

Another (but very small issue) concerns the setup.sh script.
Can you adjust it to to not overwrite the PYTHONPATH variable but append
to it?

Thanks a lot,
Dan