[ros-users] stereo calibration topic requirements?

Adam Leeper aleeper at stanford.edu
Tue Apr 6 23:24:56 UTC 2010

Hi all-

I'm trying to calibrate a pair of cameras for stereo. I only have the
following topics:

 * /my_stereo/left/image_raw [sensor_msgs/Image] 1 publisher
 * /my_stereo/right/image_raw [sensor_msgs/Image] 1 publisher

That is, I don't have any topics publishing mono camera info or anything.

I do
rosrun camera_calibration cameracalibrator.py
right:=/my_stereo/right/image_raw left:=/my_stereo/left/image_raw
left_camera:=/my_stereo/left right_camera:=/my_stereo/right

but it just hangs. Since mono calibration works fine, my only guess is that
the stereo routine requires the mono calibration info to proceed, so it is
waiting for more topics before continuing. If so, the tutorial should
probably mention that, because right now it just says "check to see that
there is a left and right image_raw topic".

On a related note, what is the proper way to publish camera info? Do I write
a node that just publishes the message every few seconds? It seems that the
camera info doesn't change quickly :)

Thanks!
--Adam

Adam Leeper