[ros-users] image transport saturating network

Dan Lazewatsky lazewatskyd at cse.wustl.edu
Fri Apr 9 19:34:58 UTC 2010

Hi all -
This isn't strictly a ROS question, but I was hoping people here would
have some thoughts. I'm grabbing video off a webcam on my robot and
using image transport to stream it to another computer on the same
wireless network. I'm having a problem where shortly after I start
subscribing to messages, my network latency skyrockets (like 1000ms+
ping times for computers on the same network, and bit rate on the
robot's wifi connection goes down to 1Mb/s from 54Mb/s). I had fixed
this problem a while ago by letting the router choose which channel to
use, but the problem came back and I haven't had any luck fixing it.
It's not a signal strength issue - iwconfig shows a link quality of
90/100 or better. Any suggestions as to what might be going on would be
much appreciated.

(I'm using a WRT54GS with DD-WRT)

Thanks,
-Dan