[ros-users] image transport saturating network

Blaise Gassend blaise at willowgarage.com
Fri Apr 9 20:00:15 UTC 2010

I wonder if the following is happening:

1. You are saturating your network connection.
2. The packet size on the TCP connection carrying your camera data is
maxing out.
3. Because you now have mostly large packets, your probability of a
packet error increases.
4. Your adapter realizes that you have a lot of errors and decreases the
data rate. (Can you confirm where you are getting the data rate from?)

Things you might want to play with are the fragmentation threshold
(fragment large packets so that they get through), the RTS/CTS threshold
(use RTS/CTS to clear the channel for those large packets).

You might also want to use tcpdump to confirm that your packets are
indeed large.

Have you tried using compressed image transports?