[ros-users] Dynamic Texture Loading in RVIZ, Dynamic Textures using OGRE

Josh Faust jfaust at willowgarage.com
Fri Apr 2 17:14:49 UTC 2010

On Fri, Apr 2, 2010 at 2:16 AM, Osiloke Emoekpere <osiloke_e at skuuled.com>wrote:

> Good Day Everyone,
> I have been using ROS for a couple of weeks now and have grown to like
> the  RVIZ stack. Although, RVIZ does not currently support dynamic texture
> which would be beneficial if an individual wanted to to re-project a camera
> image
> into the 3d space.

There are a few examples of dynamic texture loading in rviz.  For example,
the ROSImageTexture (src/rviz/image/ros_image_texture.h/cpp) translates
sensor_msgs/Image messages into Ogre textures.  Note that I use an old API
for it currently, the new one is documented in the Ogre manual:
http://www.ogre3d.org/docs/manual/manual_64.html#SEC293

> I tried modifying RVIZ to do that by implementing image retrieval for
> markers.
> as follows
> When a marker is received and is of type VISUALIZATIONMSGS:: ...IMPLANE
> --->create the marker as usual in rviz.
> ---->pass a message to an image grabber thread which pulls the image for
> that marker
>        from another node via a service.
> ------->When image is ready, find marker corresponding to that image and
> create a texture out of that image
> -------->Apply that texture to the marker.

Without some code it's impossible to know what's going wrong.

> the last step is where i get problems. In loading the texture and applying
> it to the marker
> I followed ogre's tutorials on creating a dynamic texture but that didnt
> work.
> SO IS THERE ANYONE WHO KNOWS HOW TO CREATE DYNAMIC TEXTURES IN OGRE
> MAYBE A LINK
> I WILL BE VERY GRATEFUL

Please don't shout.

Josh