[ros-users] problems with image_transport and remap

Jack O'Quin jack.oquin at gmail.com
Mon Apr 5 15:23:44 UTC 2010

On Mon, Apr 5, 2010 at 10:08 AM, Patrick Beeson <beeson.p at gmail.com> wrote:
> This morning, I noticed that when trying to remap a topic from the
> camera1394 driver, I could not get the remap to work.  It seems to me
> (possibly incorrectly) that topics created from the image_transport
> class will not remap at either the command-line or at from launch files.
>
> To test:
>
> run 'rosrun camera1394 camera 1394'.  rostopic shows
> camera1394/camera/image_raw, etc.
>
> Now run 'rosrun camera1394 camera1394 camera:=left'.  the camera was not
> replaced by left, as is supposed to happen in version 0.9+.
>
> Thoughts?

This may be related to the "naming of cameras" question I posted this morning.

The way I've been approaching this is to set the node name to the
camera name, so the topics become /left/camera/image_raw, etc. That's
fine with roslaunch, but less convenient with rosrun. This should
work:

 $ rosrun camera1394 camera1394 camera1394:=left

I am open to suggestions whether this naming scheme is good or bad. We
could make it run more like the wge100_node, with different cameras
started in different namespaces. As best I can tell, the topic names
are compatible, but the two drivers arrive at them via different
paths.
--
 joq