[ros-users] camera_calibration

Eric Perko wisesage5001 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 6 21:09:48 UTC 2010

Have you tried different baselines to see if that affects the
calibration results at all? And I'm pretty sure my checkerboard has
28.58 mm squares, so yours is not that much smaller. Can you try a
larger checkerboard?

I'd assume that, if your cameras are not moving and you can hold the
checkerboard still until both cameras have taken a pair, syncing
shouldn't be a huge problem for calibration. What happens if you
calibrate each camera separately and view rectified images? Do they
come out okay or are there issues with monocular calibration as well?
Specifically, does that checkerboard work for monocular calibration?

Also, some other students working on stereovision using OpenCV
directly have found that you have to be careful while watching the
calibration to make sure that the corner detection is working
properly. For example, if it begins by marking corners in red on top
in both cameras, it has to always mark the top corners in red - if
they ever flip or otherwise change orientation, it will make things go
quite funky. I've seen it happen with my monocular calibrations if the
person with the checkerboard isn't careful and accidentally lets the
checkerboard rotate along the axis from the camera to the
checkerboard.

- Eric