[ros-users] Gazebo Questions

John Hsu johnhsu at willowgarage.com
Tue Apr 13 00:29:07 UTC 2010

Hi Daniel,

thanks for the excellent questions.

On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 1:46 PM, Daniel Hewlett <dhewlett at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Everyone,
>
> We're working on a project that requires us to repeatedly reset/reconfigure
> the Gazebo simulator to run simulations under various conditions (different
> objects in different places, etc.), and in trying to do so I have
> encountered some issues. I have a couple of questions:
>
> 1) Removing objects (using the delete_model service) doesn't seem to work
> when the object has any controllers attached to it, specifically the ones
> from gazebo_plugins. I'm not totally in tune with what's going on in the
> Gazebo code, but it seems that objects might be getting deleted without
> deleting/deactiving child controllers first. Is this an issue in the code
> base, or am I doing something wrong?

Deleting models containing controllers is not working yet.  I've created a
ticket:
https://code.ros.org/trac/ros-pkg/ticket/3976

2) If I want to control the simulation itself (reset, pause, etc.), it seems
> that I need to access the World instance, which I can do through a plugin.
> Would it be better to do it through a plugin than to simply write my own
> "main.cc" for Gazebo, which advertises services such as "pause_simulation"?

The plan is to upgrade simulation API for c-turtle, most likely rewriting
"main.cc" as a rosnode, as much of the lower level simulation control that
you mentioned are not exposed in the current release (boxturtle).  For now,
you'll have to write your own plugin or rosnode to get access.

Thanks,
John