[ros-users] slam_gmapping messages problem

Enea Scioni enea.scioni at student.unife.it
Fri Apr 23 16:17:31 UTC 2010

Hi Brian,
thank you for your helpfulness!
Fortunately, I resolved the problem a couple of hours before!
Anyway, you're right! I made a mistake similar (but not the same!) that I
made with amcl! In few words, I built a "tf publisher" node, but the "odom"
tf frame made reference to wrong coordinate frame, so all odometry data was
wrong: the gmapping was able to receive messages and frames as well, but the
algorithm failed.
Now I fixed my code and everything works fine!!
(I knew that there was a bug in my code, but I didn't able to understand
where).
For this reason, no drop warning messages or similar on rosconsole output!

By the way, next step in my work could be to build a map using sonar sensors
instead laser (low cost solution), and when try to integrate both sensors:
do you know if anybody already tried to do this in ROS? If I understood
well, the gmapping would be ok for this goal (but not the gmapping wrapper
in ros, right?)
If not, what do you suggest to start this work?

Greetings!
Enea