[ros-users] erratic_player vs ua_erratic_player

Antons Rebguns arebgun at gmail.com
Fri Apr 30 16:19:49 UTC 2010

Pablo,

Hi ROS users.

> I was wondering what's the difference between those packages. Both of them
> have a wiki page but are empty.

These packages are basically the same, ua_erratic_player is slightly
modified to work with our own model of erratic mobile base (can be found in
erratic_description package). We are publishing a single transform from
"odom" frame to "base_footprint" frame, instead of 3 transforms that
erratic_player publishes
("odom"->"base_link_offset"->"base_link"->"base_laser_link"). I've also
modified the code so that you can specify topics for odometry and battery
information in launch files, but these can be removed since we can just use
ROS remapping mechanism. Other than that they are the same.

So if you'd like to use our model, I'd suggest also using our modified
player driver.

> - erratic_player has a little documented code API but I couldn't find the
> package folder in the svn repository. Where is it?

Here is the link to erratic_player source:
https://code.ros.org/trac/wg-ros-pkg/browser/trunk/stacks/erratic_robot/erratic_player

> - On the other hand the ua_erratic_player package is a more visible package
> through google.code but has an undocumented code page.
>
> Anyways I've added some documentation documentation to ua_erratic_player
> (because I could see the source code). Are there any problem with this? :-)
> Thanks for the ROS project, it's absolutely wonderful. Congratulations!
>
> Refs:
> http://www.ros.org/wiki/erratic_player
> http://www.ros.org/wiki/ua_erratic_player

Thank you very much for adding documentation! There's absolutely no problem
with people contributing docs :)

Anton