[ros-users] ROS Phase Space Drivers

Vijay Pradeep vpradeep at willowgarage.com
Mon Aug 2 21:27:30 UTC 2010

Hi Adam,

*Short Answer:* The driver definitely did work, and we used it a lot here at
Willow Garage for a variety of tests and experiments.  But, we haven't had
to resources to maintain or improve it.

The phasespace driver is a very thin ROS wrapper around the existing
PhaseSpace API.  Where did you copy the package from (url, revision, etc)?
It actually links in a closed source .so from PhaseSpace, which currently
will only work on 32-bit machines.  It also required some older versions of
some standard libraries, which I believe might not come with the base Ubuntu
install anymore.  The ROS phasespace driver also only runs in slave mode,
which means that you have to use a tool like the phasespace master GUI to
configure and start the system, before starting the ROS phasespace driver.
This can become inconvenient when what you want to something like "roslaunch
launch_my_robot_with_phasespace.launch".

I definitely think that writing a PhaseSpace driver that can run in Master
mode would be a great addition to the ROS community.  At this point however,
we don't have the resources to support it in-house.

Vijay