[ros-users] gazebo joint parameters

John Hsu johnhsu at willowgarage.com
Thu Aug 5 16:47:24 UTC 2010

I suggest start by making sure the mass and moment of inertias are close to
realistic values.  Then to get rid of the smooth-slow motion you are seeing,
slowly increasing damping coefficients for the joints.  Unfortunately,
realistic damping coefficients are hard to come by, and for PR2 we got them
by simply trying out different values and comparing joint responses when
given a joint trajectory command.  Note that when damping coefficient is too
large, the joint may become unstable, at that point, you can optionally
reduce time stepping size or increase quickStepW in your world file.
John