[ros-users] Convert Distance Data to Position

Vijay Pradeep vpradeep at willowgarage.com
Tue Aug 17 18:43:27 UTC 2010

Hi Shahmi,

I haven't used this in more than a year, but I believe laser_view will do
what you're looking for.  It displays a 2D plot in Cartesian space of the
laser data:
https://sail-ros-pkg.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/sail-ros-pkg/trunk/semistable/visualization/laser_view/
Maybe someone else knows if this code is still does what I think it does.

Also, if you want to write the viewer yourself, you could simply do the
conversion to Cartesian coordinates using the laser_geometry package:
http://www.ros.org/wiki/laser_geometry

Vijay