[ros-users] Inconsistant timing issues with powerbot-sh running P2OS

Matt Bergsma mjb4 at sfu.ca
Wed Dec 8 05:20:49 UTC 2010

Hello;

Currently working on a Sonar Based 'failsafe' object avoidance code, which
was originally developed and tested in Aria, and since porting it from Aria
to ros - p2os I have found its gone from behaving as expected to being very
inconsistent at best, even after increasing its internal parameters so both
stop and stop/disable zones are significantly larger. I would expect part of
this would be lag in the subnet the robot and my laptop are connected into,
but even moving the code onto the powerbot these same issues are occurring.
Eg. The robot is hitting our test object.

Note - The first set of tests had only the p2os node on the powerbot, and
roscore, my failsafe code, and a modified version of the teleop_keyboard
base code from the p2os package running on an hp tm2-2050 laptop, and when
the code was moved to the powerbot everything except for the teleop code was
moved to run on the powerbot but not utilizing the local loopback.

When this code was developed and tested in aria, it behaved as expected, and
its very light weight (running a simple profile in aria was giving run times
of around 28s for 1,000,000 sets of readings and decision on all the sonar
sensors) which ran on the powerbot itself, and the code hasn't been
significantly modified, except to talk using the ROS framework to the
applicable channels. So I would expect it isn't the issue.

Hopefully someone can shed some light on the issues encountered.

Thanks, Matt Bergsma