[ros-users] Generic message transport infrastructure

Cedric Pradalier cedric.pradalier at mavt.ethz.ch
Fri Dec 3 11:22:25 UTC 2010

On 12/03/10 10:18, Konrad Banachowicz wrote:
> I don't think that shm is right way of communication for ROS.
> It is extremely low-level approach to the problem and it's possibly
> duplicate existing in system messaging like UNIX domain socket or
> POSIQ MQ.
> Additional overhead for providing reliable communication would be
> difficult to achieve and would have significant impact on performance.

True as well...

> In my opinion using UNIX domain socket would be much more beneficial
> to ROS and much simpler to implement.

Good, it should be pretty trivial to implement within the framework.

Do you have experience on how the performance compares with TCP over
loopback?

I'm beginning to wonder if the biggest quality of the sharedmem plugin
will only be to make sure nobody (else) loses time to implement it...
Thanks for the feedback

--
Dr. Cedric Pradalier
http://www.asl.ethz.ch/people/cedricp