[ros-users] Nodelet based image pipeline

Ken Conley kwc at willowgarage.com
Sun Dec 5 07:26:55 UTC 2010

There are a lot of different USB camera drivers out there building on
separate underlying libraries (gscam, uvc_cam, usb_cam).  I Heart
Robotics had a nice review ~6 months ago [1].

A USB camera driver would have to follow the same path that Jack
O'Quin pioneered.  We would need someone to step forward to survey the
current field of USB camera drivers, choose the one(s) worth
stabilizing, develop where appropriate, review, and release. As
before, we're happy to support the process, but, as a policy, we don't
develop drivers for hardware we don't use.  The camera1394 review [2]
should give a general idea of what to expect with the process.

Now that the ROS camera API is relatively stable, we can start
dissolving the idea of the monolithic 'camera_drivers' stack.  This
means that a new USB camera driver would not have to meet the
camera_drivers freeze date -- it would likely be in its own separate
stack anyway.

 - Ken

[1]: http://www.iheartrobotics.com/2010/05/testing-ros-usb-camera-drivers.html
[2]: http://www.ros.org/wiki/camera1394/Reviews/2010-05-27_API_Review