[ros-users] Nodelets

Alex Bravo robotnv at gmail.com
Mon Dec 6 04:09:38 UTC 2010

>Game consoles are not complex robotic systems, and we wouldn't want to have
the entire ROS PR2 tree
>start up as a single process, and then when something crashes the whole
robot crashes. If my game crashes, I >can live with that.

>Multiple processes can actually act as "guards" too - by separating
important levels of functionality. I'm pretty >sure that an ill-malformed
nodelet can easily crash a manager. But sure, I did notice that you said
"fully-
> debugged applications" ;) Unfortunately, in my opinion we're still not
there... yet.

>My point is that different processes are still good enough for our current
robotic infrastructure and should be
>used wherever possible if your bottleneck is not the
copy/(de)serialization. But sure, ultimately, people are free
>to use whatever they want :)

Besides agreeing with Radu on all points, I would warn
against underestimating the importance of having separate memory spaces
between different processes.

In the system I work with we have > 100 processes running simultaneously.
One of those processes has 20 to 100 shared objects (like nodelets) loaded
into it. It was done to improve OpenGL performance.
Well, guess which of our 100+ processes has 80%+ of problems/crashes? :)
So now we are looking for the ways of separating that process into several
processes.
One difference is our OS (QNX) switches faster between threads than other
OSs switch between threads (at least that's what QNX claims, but it sounds
right.)

I saw some discussions here a while ago about shared memory as an
alternative to nodelets. Was there not enough benefits for it?