[ros-users] Ros Communications

Piotr Trojanek piotr.trojanek at gmail.com
Mon Dec 6 12:34:14 UTC 2010

The boost::archive compatible XDR (de)coder is here:

https://github.com/ptroja/mrrocpp/tree/master/src/base/lib/xdr/

The design is inspired by the archive found in Orocos's mqueue transport.
Both input and output archives are implemented at the bottom of the
boost::archive hierarchy
in order to avoid dynamic memory allocation introduced by the middle layer
of boost::archive.

There are no dependencies other than <rpc/rpc.h>. No languages other than
C++ are involved,
because the goal was to provide zero-memory-allocation serialization
solution for C++ without
the need for IDLs (which are common if you need cross-language
serialization, see i.e. the ICE)
or parser scripts similar to rpcgen for C or the one used in Player.

Piotr

On Fri, Dec 3, 2010 at 18:26, Troy Straszheim
<straszheim at willowgarage.com>wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 3, 2010 at 8:36 AM, Piotr Trojanek <piotr.trojanek at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > 0mq does not handle serialization at all. It just pass a binary blobs of
> > data.
> >
> > I think, that ICE is closer to your needs, as it is less than a CORBA,
> more
> > than a message passing.
>
> Link?
>
> > P.S. My team is using a kind of custom, QNX-like message passing library
> > (planned to be moved to 0mq)
> > together with boost::archive compatible XDR serializer.
>
> That's interesting, I'd be curious to see the archive code.  Are
> languages other than C++ involved?
>
> -t

Piotr Trojanek