[ros-users] Moving robot to arbitrary position in Stage

Brian Gerkey gerkey at willowgarage.com
Tue Dec 7 03:20:48 UTC 2010

On Mon, Dec 6, 2010 at 3:58 PM, zdydek <zac at mit.edu> wrote:
> I'm currently using stage to simulate my robot, and I know of only 2 ways to
> change the robot's position:
>
> 1. By setting the "pose" parameter in the world file.
> 2. By click-and-dragging the robot in the Stage window.
>
> I would like to know if it is possible to give the robot an arbitrary pose
> from the command line or by sending a message out on some topic. This would
> give me the precision of setting the numbers exactly as can be done in the
> world file, but also the flexibility to make changes to the robot positions
> while the simulation is running.

hi Zac,

The capability that you describe does exist in the underlying Stage
library, but is not exposed through the stageros wrapper.  A patch to
expose that functionality would be warmly welcomed.  It would be nice
to follow the ROS API used by gazebo (http://www.ros.org/wiki/gazebo)
for setting and getting model states.

	brian.