[ros-users] Particle cloud isn't displayed on rviz

Eric Perko wisesage5001 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 8 18:30:11 UTC 2010

Laura,

Firstly, I'm assuming you meant amcl used for the transform between /map and
/odom, since I see amcl in your launch file but not gmapping.

What is your fixed frame set to in rviz? I've seen similar behavior from the
2D Pose Estimate function in rviz if the fixed frame was set to, for
example, /odom. It should be set to /map for that functionality to work
correctly in my experience.

Does a particle cloud appear if you just start pushing the robot around?
Even if you don't give an initial estimate, amcl will still output a
(probably wrong) particle cloud if the robot begins to move around in the
map.

- Eric