[ros-users] Inconsistant timing issues with powerbot-sh running P2OS

Matt B fooloftherandom at gmail.com
Wed Dec 8 20:37:11 UTC 2010

Both the robot, and my laptop are running the latest version of Cturtle,
along with the latest version of the p2os node, and have run a few more
tests, while watching the output (the failsafe node, reports to ros_out when
either mode is activated or configuration changes are made)

And what I’m seeing is my code sending the commands as expected, when
expected based on the sonar data itself (both sonar data and the times of
activation, agree with the previous performance under ARIA libraries) but
especially in the case of the disable command being sent since an audible
response from the brakes on the powerbot engaging can be heard, a lag of up
to ½ a second or so can be heard, between when the failsafe algorithm sends
the disable command to /cmd_motor_state and when the motor brakes engage.  I
do expect a less noticeable lag on occasion of up to 100mS due to the way
the ARCOS controller itself works, but this is well beyond that.

As for more specific information on each computer, the powerbot is currently
running ubuntu 9.10 and my laptop is running ubuntu 10.04x64. Without
modifying the p2os node itself, theres no way I can think of to be able to
tell whether the lag is coming from our network, the p2os node, or the ARCOS
controller communication itself.

Matt