[ros-users] Inconsistant timing issues with powerbot-sh running P2OS

Matt Bergsma mjb4 at sfu.ca
Wed Dec 8 22:01:33 UTC 2010

Dave -

Thanks that'd be appreciated, hopefully that will allow me to pinpoint the
delay a bit better.

A quick aside, that may or may not be applicable to my problem, but to my
understanding with ros, if both the core and some node(s) are running on the
same physical machine, but aren’t configured to use the local loopback in
the hosts file (127.0.0.1) they will still communicate via the network card
itself. Or am I incorrect in that assumption?

Matt

Matt-

I'll take a look at the p2os driver to see if I can pin down the
problems that you're having. The earliest that I will be able to do
this is tomorrow, however.

-Dave

On Wed, Dec 8, 2010 at 12:37 PM, Matt B <fooloftherandom at gmail.com> wrote:
> Both the robot, and my laptop are running the latest version of Cturtle,
> along with the latest version of the p2os node, and have run a few more
> tests, while watching the output (the failsafe node, reports to ros_out
when
> either mode is activated or configuration changes are made)
>
> And what I’m seeing is my code sending the commands as expected, when
> expected based on the sonar data itself (both sonar data and the times of
> activation, agree with the previous performance under ARIA libraries) but
> especially in the case of the disable command being sent since an audible
> response from the brakes on the powerbot engaging can be heard, a lag of
up
> to ½ a second or so can be heard, between when the failsafe algorithm
sends
> the disable command to /cmd_motor_state and when the motor brakes engage.
> do expect a less noticeable lag on occasion of up to 100mS due to the way
> the ARCOS controller itself works, but this is well beyond that.
>

> As for more specific information on each computer, the powerbot is
currently
> running ubuntu 9.10 and my laptop is running ubuntu 10.04x64. Without
> modifying the p2os node itself, theres no way I can think of to be able to
> tell whether the lag is coming from our network, the p2os node, or the
ARCOS
> controller communication itself.
>

> Matt

Aria