[ros-users] Moving from Player to ROS

Radu Bogdan Rusu rusu at willowgarage.com
Sat Dec 11 20:35:37 UTC 2010

On 12/11/2010 09:54 AM, Dejan Pangercic wrote:
> As of my personal experience I have 2 strong arguments for using
> Player over ROS, a)there is simply no features that Player can offer
> me and ROS not, and b)the community of ROS is simply by orders of
> magnitude bigger.

You said "arguments _for_ using Player _over_ ROS" :) I think you meant the opposite.

In any case, Player is still actively maintained and there's still people using it and submitting patches (Rich Mattes
is leading most of the efforts). Approximatively 6 months ago, the redevelopment of Javaclient for Player restarted too
(Jorge Simon is leading the efforts).

Player is still useful -- it's tiny and simple to run and understand. However, for anything a tad bit more complex, we
found out that users tend to switch over to ROS. Dejan is right, the ROS community is larger, and "ROS does" and offers
an extremely large palette of software useful for robotics, which Player was not meant to offer in the first place.

Cheers,
Radu.
--
http://pointclouds.org