[ros-users] Recovery strategy for corrupted bag?

Jeremy Leibs leibs at willowgarage.com
Thu Dec 16 20:57:04 UTC 2010

On Thu, Dec 16, 2010 at 12:24 PM, Mac Mason <mac at cs.duke.edu> wrote:

> Hello folks,
>
> I have a several-GB bagfile that's corrupted (the machine taking the data
> locked up hard mid-run). rosbag play dies with "Expected INDEX_DATA record";
> everything else tells me I need to reindex it.
>
> However, when I reindex it, the resulting file shows the same behavior
> (including the "please reindex this" from just about everything).

> Am I completely hosed here, or is there anything worth looking into?

There is definitely something I would like to look into here.  Is there any
way you could place the bag on a server where I could access it?  The format
was written with the intent of making it robust to many forms of corruption.
 The fact that reindexing doesn't result in a usable bag is definitely a
bug.  I can't guarantee all the data is recoverable, but the result of
running reindex should at least be usable, even if there is significant data
loss.  If you can get me access to the bag, I'd love to take a look.

Thanks,
--Jeremy