[ros-users] uvc_camera not publishing width and height on /camera_info topic

Eric Perko wisesage5001 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 19 03:02:27 UTC 2010

On Sat, Dec 18, 2010 at 9:18 PM, Patrick Goebel
<patrick at casbs.stanford.edu>wrote:

> Hi Ken,
>
> Many thanks for the update--I now see the height and width in the
> /camera_info message.  I am not using calibration at the moment, but I
> wanted a way to have width and height on /camera_info automatically from
> the params in the launch file so I could read it from other nodes.
>
> But there is still something I don't understand about uvc_camera so
> sorry about having to ask such a basic question.  If I set the image
> width and height in my launch file to different values, e.g. 160x120
> versus 640x480, I don't see any difference in the resolution of
> /image_raw when viewed in image_view.  By contrast, if I use the usb_cam
> node from the bosch-ros-stack (http://www.ros.org/wiki/bosch-ros-pkg),
> then I do see the change in resolution.  Similarly, I don't see a change
> in fps in uvc_camera if I change its value in the launch file.  (usb_cam
> does not appear to be able change fps so I can't compare.)
>
> Should I be able to set these parameters in uvc_camera and see the
> effects in image_view?

Patrick,

Can you give the driver at https://github.com/ericperko/uvc_cam a try? It
should be able to change parameters and you ought to see a difference (I
know I've seen a difference using parameters such as exposure). It does have
some basic dynamic_reconfigure support that you ought to be able to use to
play with it and see results more or less live.

If it works, perhaps Ken and I can work to merge some of the functionality
into one good UVC driver, since both are derived from Morgan Quigley's
driver.

- Eric