[ros-users] ROS on NXT

Alex Bravo robotnv at gmail.com
Thu Dec 23 17:30:06 UTC 2010

I don't want to discourage anybody from trying to run ROS itself on NXT,
but IMHO there's just not enough processing power and memory in it.
Optimizing Bluetooth communicaton and leaving all the heavy lifting to
a Ubuntu laptop running ROS is probably the best that can be done.
Lego.com has Bluetooth Developer Kit that should help:
http://mindstorms.lego.com/en-us/support/files/default.aspx#Advanced

Alex

Look what's inside of NXT (
http://mindstormsnxt.blogspot.com/2006/08/whats-inside-nxt-brick.html):

The full hardware specs as released by LEGO are as follows:

   - Main processor: Atmel® 32-bit ARM® processor, AT91SAM7S256
      - - 256 KB FLASH
    - - 64 KB RAM
    - - 48 MHz
   - Co-processor: Atmel® 8-bit AVR processor, ATmega48
      - - 4 KB FLASH
    - - 512 Byte RAM
    - - 8 MHz
   - Bluetooth wireless communication CSR BlueCoreTM 4 v2.0 +EDR System
      - - Supporting the Serial Port Profile (SPP)
    - - Internal 47 KByte RAM
    - - External 8 MBit FLASH
    - - 26 MHz