[ros-users] Problem with rosinstall on Arch

Tully Foote tfoote at willowgarage.com
Mon Dec 27 14:37:56 UTC 2010

Hi Bjoern,

That error message is a little misleading.  It should read, "No 'ros'
stack defined" instead of no ROS_ROOT.  It's been fixed but in the mean
time, rosinstall does not read from your environment.  You need to have
a target which defines where ros is installed. I've created a
troubleshooting page to cover it here
http://www.ros.org/wiki/rosinstall/Troubleshooting#Error:_No_.27ros.27_stack_defined

In your case where did you create the .rosinstall file which has the
'ros' stack defined?  I'm going to call that directory
PATH_TO_PREVIOUS_ROSINSTALL, which I"m guessing in your case is
/home/bjoern/ROS .  When you want to add urdf_tools to that rosinstall
file you can use:

rosinstall PATH_TO_PREVIOUS_ROSINSTALL_DIR urdf_tools.rosinstall

assuming there's a .rosinstall file in PATH_TO_PREVIOUS_ROSINSTALL_DIR

Tully