[ros-users] Stage (Player Project) vs. Stage (ROS)

Chad Rockey chadrockey at gmail.com
Tue Dec 28 08:19:59 UTC 2010

Hi Arkapravo,

ROS interfaces nicely with Stage.  See
http://www.ros.org/wiki/simulator_stage.  The only package here is stage,
which contains the stageros.cpp wrapper program.  According to
http://www.ros.org/wiki/stage, this is simply a ROS provided file that
interfaces via libstage.  The version of Stage currently included should be
Stage-3.2.2.  There is also a patch file in simulator_stage/stage.  I
encourage you to take a look at these files to see exactly how the wrapper
works.

Stageros will control a simulated robot and publish odometry, laser scans,
and ground truth position.  This is all done through the standard ROS topics
(Twist/Odometry/LaserScan/Odometry).

Since the entire Stage is running, you should be able to load in your models
and worlds using your familiar methods.  The
only functionality "differences" are that some things have not been brought
out in our wrapper.  For example, a few of us had to expose
ranger functionality, but this has not yet been released.

In summary:
We interface through libstage, so stage itself should be identical in
functionality and use.
The only performance concern I can think of is that you should be able to
run stage, ROS, and RVIZ simultaneously for full benefit.
If there's something you can't get stage to do that you need but isn't
exposed through stageros, let the list know.  It's likely someone else has a
patch that would work for you, but we haven't gotten it pushed in
officially.

Hopefully this answers some of your questions, as for comparing the
player/stage pair to ROS, we have a few resources for that:
http://www.ros.org/wiki/ROS/Introduction#Goals and
http://www.ros.org/wiki/FAQ#ROS_vs._Other_Robot_Software_Frameworks.2BAC8-Middlewares
are
what I've found on a quick search.

OK, I think that covers everything.  If I got something horribly wrong I'm
sure someone who knows better (Brian :-P) will correct me.  Hope this helps.

 - Chad
<http://www.ros.org/wiki/stage>