[ros-users] Stage (Player Project) vs. Stage (ROS)

Jack O'Quin jack.oquin at gmail.com
Tue Dec 28 17:57:35 UTC 2010

On Tue, Dec 28, 2010 at 1:36 AM, Arkapravo Bhaumik
<arkapravobhaumik at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi everyone
>
> I have always used Stage as a Player plugin and a component of the Player
> Project, than as a ROS package.  Those of you who have used both, can you
> please inform if the ROS package is any better ? I would guess that
> functionality will be nearly same - however can you inform me about the
> performance/ output/ user friendliness ?
>
> Also, I am using Stage 3.2.0, which version does ROS provide ?

We've used Stage pretty extensively with both Player and ROS. It works
fine either way for our project.

Player integration is better at this point, because stageros
(currently) only exports a few interfaces. It's not hard to add more,
if you need them, but the Stage plugin for Player handles all that
transparently.

My biggest problem has been getting the world files to track Stage
versions. They keep changing the interface incompatibly, and the
parser error messages are almost useless. But, those are purely Stage
issues, either way you connect to it. On the plus side, performance of
recent Stage versions has improved noticeably.
--
 joq