[ros-users] Weirdness in URDF tutorials

Björn Giesler bjoern at giesler.de
Wed Dec 29 09:19:21 UTC 2010

Hi,

well frankly, I think the documentation is very good but it makes quite a few assumptions. I've worked through the tf tutorials, and while they're great, I'm missing a step-for-step tutorial for simple platforms that don't have laser scanners. The tutorial for the navigation stack seems great, but it makes many many assumptions about system components that just aren't there if you don't have a laser scanner. Once I've worked through all of this, I may write a non-laserscanner tutorial.

I'm still confused though how the whole tf system works. Right now, I've built a simple URDF file for my robot that contains the base link and one foot, here it is:

<?xml version="1.0" ?>
<robot name="r2d2" xmlns:xacro="http://playerstage.sourceforge.net/gazebo/xmlschema/#interface">
  <link name="base_link">
    <!-- robot coord origin is between the main feet -->
    <!-- just put a tiny box there -->
    <visual>
      <geometry>
        <box size=".01 .01 .01"/>
      </geometry>
    </visual>
  </link>
  <link name="left_foot">
    <visual>
      <geometry>
        <box size=".36 .175 .16"/>
      </geometry>
      <material name="white">
        <color rgba="1 1 1 1"/>
      </material>
      <origin rpy="0 0 0" xyz="0 0 .08"/>
    </visual>
  </link>
  <joint name="base_to_left_foot" type="fixed">
    <parent link="base_link"/>
    <child link="left_foot"/>
    <origin xyz="0 0.275 0"/>
  </joint>
</robot>

...and I've copied the transform publisher for the transform /odom->/base_link that is in the Wiki. Result: My /base_link moves around as it should, but the foot doesn't move with it. The tf tree as shown in rviz shows a tree structure "/odom -> /base_link -> /left_foot", but its status area says that there's "No transform from [/left_foot] to frame [/odom]". I thought the tf tree structure did just that?

Any help is much appreciated.

Regards,
Björn

--
Björn Giesler
bjoern at giesler.de
Verschlüssel Deine Emails -- oder schreibst Du Deine Briefe außen auf den Umschlag?
Meinen Schlüssel findest Du auf http://giesler.biz/~bjoern/downloads/bg.asc -- schick mir Deinen!
Mehr Informationen findest Du auf http://www.gnupg.org/index.de.html