[ros-users] Computer Recommendations

Bill Mania maniabill at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 30 12:56:26 UTC 2010

Homer,

On Thu, Dec 30, 2010 at 06:24:22PM +0800, Homer Manalo wrote:
> I'd like to know what kind of computer are you using for your robots. I
> would also like to know what are your recommendations for a robot that will
> make a lot of use of image processing, say two stereo cameras. Are intel
> atoms sufficient for the job? What about beagleboards? Or the pico ITX from
> VIA?

I'm in Chicago and building a hobby robot. I'm currently using an
old Dell notebook computer (with the display removed) and an AVR
microcontroller. I plan to have a single webcam, two motor
controllers, two ultrasonic rangefinders, a gyroscope and a GPS.

So far, I seem to have sufficient computing capacity, but the
whole thing is a bit heavy. 8^(

--
Bill Mania /'mæ ɲə/
dum vivimus, vivamus!