[ros-users] 6dof localization

Armin Hornung HornungA at informatik.uni-freiburg.de
Fri Dec 31 00:27:28 UTC 2010

Hi Augusto,

> i was wondering if there is another ros_node for localization beyond AMCL,
> something with more than 3dof.
> I'd like to use pointclouds (from multi-layer range-finder and cameras)
> instead simple 2d-laserscans
> for localization, but the navigation stack seems to be only 2d.

I implemented a 6D localization for humanoid robots in a known 3D model
(as OctoMap), which you can see in action at [1]. Further details are
available at [2]. While the robot's localized state is a full 6dof pose,
its movements are constrained by the environment and the sensor itself
is a 2D range finder (a Hokuyo mounted in the Nao humanoid's head). So
I'm not sure if that is what you are looking for. Also, the code is
currently not publicly available and probably not general enough to work
for all kinds of robots or sensors in 3D.

Best regards,
Armin

[1]
http://www.ros.org/news/2010/10/robots-using-ros-uni-freiburgs-osiris-nao.html
[2] http://hrl.informatik.uni-freiburg.de/animations-6Dloc.html

--
Armin Hornung
Humanoid Robots Lab, Albert-Ludwigs-Universität Freiburg