[ros-users] modifying pr2_description and multiple copies

Adam Leeper aleeper at stanford.edu
Thu Jul 15 23:50:02 UTC 2010

Hello-

Say I want to modify pr2_description. Also say I want to check my
modifications into a repository for easy access. As far as I can tell, I
need to check in the entire pr2_description folder into the repo in order to
be able to easily check it out on another comp and have it work immediately
as an overlay. The mesh and various other files are rather large, at 57MB
total.

Is there any easy way for me to overlay the pr2.urdf.xacro file, and maybe
also some custom .urdf.xacro files for sensors, without keeping multiple
copies of the meshes floating around? It seems like right now if a launch
file, such as pr2_bringup.launch, can find pr2.urdf.xacro in a custom copy
of pr2_description, then by definition it will also look in that same path
when looking for the meshes, etc.

Any ideas on a better way to do this?

Thanks,
Adam