[ros-users] overlay of a ros core package

Nikolaus Demmel demmeln at in.tum.de
Sun Jul 25 12:38:08 UTC 2010

Hi list,

is it possible to have a local checkout of a package from the "ros" core stack "shadowing" the package in the ROS_ROOT directory?

To be concrete I have a local checkout of rosemacs. I want to use this local checkout instead of the version that comes with my cturtle prebuilt binaries install (ubuntu lucid). The local checkout of rosemacs is in my ROS_PACKAGE_PATH, but still the version in /opt/ros/cturtle/ros/tools/rosemacs is used. I assume this is because rospack looks in the ROS_ROOT before looking in the ROS_PACKAGE_PATH when searching for packages.

Is there a way arround this? I could of course install the whole ros core stack from source but I'd rather just have rosemacs, if its possible.

Best regards,
Niko